[linux-elitists] SCO drops its bomb

Willy willy@linuxgazette.com
Mon Jun 16 14:25:50 PDT 2003

> begin Jonathan Corbet quotation of Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 02:53:18PM -0600:
>
>> As expected, SCO has attempted to shut down IBM's AIX license.  The
>> amusing
>> part, to me, is yet another fun quote from Chris Sontag (as reported on
>> News.com - http://news.com.com/2100-1016-1017719.html):
>>
>> 	 SCO said that the termination of the AIX license means that all
>> 	 IBM Unix customers also have no license to use the software. "This
>> 	 termination not only applies to new business by IBM, but also
>> 	 existing copies of AIX that are installed at all customer
>> 	 sites. All of it has to be destroyed," Sontag said.
>
> You heard the man.  Destroy it.  Don't forget the backup tapes and
> the original install CDs.  What's the AIX equivalent of fdisk?

My take, just out:

http://worldwatch.linuxgazette.com/article.php?sid=64

 This particular episode is not looking like chess right now. No, it
rather reminds us of going to the beach as a small child and building
sand castles. Maybe you had the same experience: there was always one
kid, who, when he saw what you had built, instead of trying to make his
own castle bigger or better, would come over and try to kick yours down.
Somehow, that made him feel better. The above statement of Chris Sontag
is in that same vein. Rather than act rationally and start a discussion
of realistic payment for use of intellectual property over which there is
some dispute, his reaction is to strike out and destroy. He wants to pull
everyone else down to his level.

 The Free Software movement is in direct contrast to this childish and
aberrant behavior. Millions of people all over the world are combining
their minds and resources to efficiently create resources which help
everyone on the planet. Will it be the natural evolution of the Linux and
Free Software revolution, to escape the developed countries while they
destroy themselves out of envy, and move to countries and cultures where
people cannot even begin to understand the what or why of their
conflicts? Right now, in SCO v. Everyone Else, it looks that way.

 Willy Smith, reporting from Costa Rica