[linux-elitists] SCO drops its bomb

Jonathan Corbet corbet-elite@lwn.net
Mon Jun 16 13:53:18 PDT 2003

As expected, SCO has attempted to shut down IBM's AIX license.  The amusing
part, to me, is yet another fun quote from Chris Sontag (as reported on
News.com - http://news.com.com/2100-1016-1017719.html):

	 SCO said that the termination of the AIX license means that all
	 IBM Unix customers also have no license to use the software. "This
	 termination not only applies to new business by IBM, but also
	 existing copies of AIX that are installed at all customer
	 sites. All of it has to be destroyed," Sontag said.

Somehow I thought this all about how free software is scary (it can have
intellectual property bombs in it) while proprietary is all nice, warm,
fuzzy, and safe.  AIX users have just found out how untrue that is.  When
you pick a vendor, make sure to get one that won't piss off SCO, or you're
screwed.

I do believe that this is (yet another) strategic screwup on SCO's part.
Proprietary software is not "safe;" you remain at the mercy of companies up
the licensing chain that you may have never dealt with directly.  When the
smoke clears, people will remember that, and Linux may end up stronger than
ever.

jon