[linux-elitists] On origins of MSFT code (hearsay) Re: [fsl-discuss] reusing code under BSD licence

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Fri Jun 6 19:45:59 PDT 2003

Quoting Shawn McMahon (smcmahon@eiv.com):

> Since all I was addressing was the question of whether or not he could
> be relied upon to be accurately reporting someone else's opinion spoken
> in his presence, I saw no reason to discuss any other measures of his
> character.

In my experience, reliability of somemone's pronouncements cannot, in
the general case, be decided by scrutiny the speaker's character.

Your point about the original example being a simple recounting of a
third party's words is duly acknowledged:   The post I was responding to
seemed to make a broader claim, which seemed decidedly odd from a logic
perspective.

Possibly relevant to the previously cited estimate of "public domain"
code percentages in Microsoft Corporation codebases:
http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/linux-info/public-domain

--
Cheers,                    I've been suffering death by PowerPoint, recently.
Rick Moen                                                     -- Huw Davies