[linux-elitists] Re: Modern SCO Executive

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Fri Jun 6 15:11:48 PDT 2003

on Fri, Jun 06, 2003 at 05:40:30PM -0400, Eric S. Raymond (esr@snark.thyrsus.com) wrote:
> In an otherwise fine effort, one line strikes me as sadly defective:
>
>   Our history's mythological (per Eric, it's not factual).
>   I answer simple questions with evasions indeciph'rable.
>
> Rhyming indeciph'rable with factual?  Tsk tsk.  That's a bug.
> Allow me to suggest this:
>
>   Our history's mythological (per Eric, it's not factual).
>   Our gravamen it is grounded in obscurities contractual.
>
> "Gravamen" is lawyerese for the central point of an accusation.
> The accent is on the second syllable.
>
> In case you have not seen it, I bring to your attention the following:
>
>   The claims we file don't reconcile with any actual history,
>   So why we think Big Blue will blink is something of a mystery.
>   It's all a fake so we can make those Linux users terrified:
>   The falsitude of all we've spewed is trivially verified!
>
> This was apparently uttered by sab39 on LWN, and I applaud it
> as being both witty and prosodically correct.  The last line
> is very G&S -- the fact that you have to pronounce "trivially"
> as four syllables to sing it properly is a feature,
>
> You now have a bug fix and a new module.  Time for 0.2?
>
> (If you're going to do more releases, I have some minor scansion fixes
> to suggest as well.)

Well, since the definitive version's in the TWiki,
making changes is easy.  Have to give Rick admin privs though.
I've also been thinking myself on some changes.  Some mods, some adds.
Perhaps entire new verses.  One word of caution though I must:
That damn hexidecimeter just won't leave my cranium.

Yes, I too liked the LWN suggestion, and was devising new verses myself
while biking (through the Napa Valley countryside,  the commute is hell,
but there are benefits...).

I've also raised the possiblity of a live public performance (or
multiples) at SCO's upcoming August 16-18 Las Vegas shindig.

Peace.

    "I really wish I'd listened to what my mother told me when I was young."
    "Why, what did she tell you?"
    "I don't know, I didn't listen."
    -- HHGTG