[linux-elitists] Re: Modern SCO Executive

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Fri Jun 6 15:14:34 PDT 2003

Quoting Eric S. Raymond (esr@snark.thyrsus.com):

> Allow me to suggest this:
>
>   Our history's mythological (per Eric, it's not factual).
>   Our gravamen it is grounded in obscurities contractual.

Ooh!  Very good indeed.  However, I'd be sad to see the point about
evasive answers go.

The version published on the twiki (nearly identical to what I e-mailed)
is the result of a couple of _days_ of continual rewriting, reflecting
probably a lot more enthusiasm than lyrical talent.  You'll note that
the one you point to is not the only dicey rhyme, and there's at least
one point where the two halves of a line break in the middle of a word.

Overall, the scansion works well enough _now_, but you should have seen
the CVS.  ;->

> In case you have not seen it, I bring to your attention the following:
>
>   The claims we file don't reconcile with any actual history,
>   So why we think Big Blue will blink is something of a mystery.
>   It's all a fake so we can make those Linux users terrified:
>   The falsitude of all we've spewed is trivially verified!
>
> This was apparently uttered by sab39 on LWN, and I applaud it
> as being both witty and prosodically correct.  The last line
> is very G&S -- the fact that you have to pronounce "trivially"
> as four syllables to sing it properly is a feature,

Moreover, it's a Gilbert-style _three-syllable_ rhyme, something Karsten
and I couldn't have found with a map and flashlight, I think.

> You now have a bug fix and a new module.  Time for 0.2?

The fly in that balm is that we'd also have to write an accompanying
eight-line verse to go above it, no?

> (If you're going to do more releases, I have some minor scansion fixes
> to suggest as well.)

Those would be gratefully received.  We're fixing things on the twiki
copy, as we find them and think of patches that make things better
rather than worse.

--
Cheers,                            Ceterum censeo, Caldera delenda est.
Rick Moen