[linux-elitists] Analyst finds SCO's "proof" credible

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Fri Jun 6 14:36:35 PDT 2003

on Fri, Jun 06, 2003 at 01:58:46PM -0700, Rick Moen (rick@linuxmafia.com) wrote:
> Quoting Karsten Self (kmself@ix.netcom.com):
>

> > Information content:  near null.
>
> There's a further matter that people keep forgetting, because they
> confuse the press coverage and PR announcements with the lawsuit claims:
> Caldera/SCO has _not_ charged copyright violation.  It asserts that IBM
> violated a contract asserting trade secrets and was guilty of unfair
> competition.  That is a much weaker and more difficult legal claim, as
> it's not at all clear that Caldera/SCO even _has_ trade secrets that
> aren't already publicly known through unencumbered sources.  UNIX is one
> of the most-discussed, best known, most-published-about codebases in
> history, and has been floating about very widely for decades.  That is
> true of both UNIX Version 7 and of System V.
>
> It's deeply suspicious that Caldera/SCO won't reveal in public the
> particulars of even _one_ alleged violation.  This may be because they
> know that the *ix community would be all over it, finding public sources
> of the same "secrets" in one or more of research papers, the Lions book,
> at least one other publicly available book on _System V_ whose name
> eludes me, and any number of other places.

   "And all that code was say they took?  The Stevens book's got every
   bit".

   http://twiki.iwethey.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/PiratesOfPenguinance

;-)

Peace.

    "I repeat, all planet leave is cancelled. I've just had an unhappy
    love affair, so I don't see why anybody else should have a good
    time."
    -- HHGTG