[linux-elitists] Analyst finds SCO's "proof" credible

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Fri Jun 6 13:58:46 PDT 2003

Quoting Karsten Self (kmself@ix.netcom.com):

> on Sat, Jun 07, 2003 at 06:11:19AM +1000, Jeff Waugh (jdub@perkypants.org) wrote:
> > Probably seen, but worth pointing out anyway:
> >
> >   "Apparently the most telling evidence is that parts of the SCO code and
> >   Linux code include identical annotations made by developers when they
> >   wrote the programs, says DiDio, who compares such notes to the signature
> >   or fingerprint of a developer's work."
> >
> >   http://www.cmpnetasia.com/ViewArt.cfm?Artid=20074&Catid=8&subcat=79
> >
> > - Jeff
>
> Similar doesn't indicate which way the copying went, or from where.
>
> Information content:  near null.

There's a further matter that people keep forgetting, because they
confuse the press coverage and PR announcements with the lawsuit claims:
Caldera/SCO has _not_ charged copyright violation.  It asserts that IBM
violated a contract asserting trade secrets and was guilty of unfair
competition.  That is a much weaker and more difficult legal claim, as
it's not at all clear that Caldera/SCO even _has_ trade secrets that
aren't already publicly known through unencumbered sources.  UNIX is one
of the most-discussed, best known, most-published-about codebases in
history, and has been floating about very widely for decades.  That is
true of both UNIX Version 7 and of System V.

It's deeply suspicious that Caldera/SCO won't reveal in public the
particulars of even _one_ alleged violation.  This may be because they
know that the *ix community would be all over it, finding public sources
of the same "secrets" in one or more of research papers, the Lions book,
at least one other publicly available book on _System V_ whose name
eludes me, and any number of other places.

--
Cheers,                            Ceterum censeo, Caldera delenda est.
Rick Moen