[linux-elitists] Another SCO teleconference

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Fri Jun 6 08:52:36 PDT 2003

on Fri, Jun 06, 2003 at 07:06:19AM -0600, Jonathan Corbet (corbet-elite@lwn.net) wrote:
> Oh boy, we getta listen to Darl talk about his 30,000 contracts again.
>
> 	http://www.newsalert.com/bin/story?StoryId=CpUarWbWbtefgmde2&Print=1
>
> Noon, eastern time.
>
> Evidently they dug up a new contract with Novell that, they say, changes
> things.
>
> 	http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104-1013865.html

Questions to ask (and I realize you only get one, so press types might
want to work out aggreements on who says what):

  - When did SCO begin reviewing SCO and Linux code for possible common
    elements?  Why was this not done in advance of the merger?  Doesn't
    this permanently taint both codebases?

  - How does SCO answer to its obligations for having released Linux
    kernel binary and code under the GNU GPL for over nine years, and
    Linux version 2.4 kernel binary and code under the GNU GPL for over
    two years?

  - How was it SCO was claiming copyright over a a week before discovery
    of this document?  Where is the US Copyright Office registry of this
    transfer?  Novell can't seem to locate their end of this agreement.
    Why should we believe it's genuine?

I'll sit this call out.  Again:  if anyone can record this, I'll at
least get an ogg, and possibly a transcript, online.

Peace.

    Ceterum censeo, Caldera delenda est.