[linux-elitists] Re: SCO Teleconference transcript (Friday, May 30, 2003)

Brian McGroarty brian@mcgroarty.net
Thu Jun 5 05:48:35 PDT 2003

On Wed, Jun 04, 2003 at 10:41:21AM -0700, Nick Moffitt wrote:
> begin  Brian McGroarty  quotation:
> > On Mon, Jun 02, 2003 at 11:56:26AM -0700, Nick Moffitt wrote:
> > > 	I don't think you'd find anyone in the lkml who thinks that
> > > "hundreds of lines" would be difficult to replace.  I think you'd
> > > be hard-pressed to find people who think that "hundreds of lines"
> > > are even *incriminating* if they're speckled about the place in
> > > chunks of a dozen or so lines.
> [...]
> > Damning chunks from five to ten or fifteen lines, they say?
>
> 	Do they?  If so, then my little statistical question could
> actually be important.  I wasn't aware that they had actually said
> such a thing.

Via Google, I see --

Computerworld -- http://tinyurl.com/djdw

"Lindon, Utah-based SCO, which in March filed a US$1 billion lawsuit
against IBM Corp. alleging misappropriation of trade secrets and
unfair competition, now claims that sections of the Linux kernel -- in
chunks of code as large as 15 lines -- were copied from its Unix
System V operating system."

But now I also see --

Computerworld -- http://tinyurl.com/djdt

"It's very extensive. It is many different sections of code ranging
from five to 10 to 15 lines of code in multiple places that are of
issue, up to large blocks of code that have been inappropriately
copied into Linux in violation of our source-code licensing contract."

The original text I'd read elsewhere didn't include "up to large
blocks."