[linux-elitists] lexical-elitists

Ben Finney bignose@zip.com.au
Wed Jun 4 15:56:48 PDT 2003

On Wed, 4 Jun 2003, Modus Operandi wrote:
> Ben Finney wrote:
> > $ cd bible-kjv-4.14/
> > $ grep -c froward bible.rawtext
> > 23
> > =====
> >
> > Quite a common error.  Shall you submit a patch or shall I?
>
> To : fro :: toward : froward. Those froward folks Solomon warns us
> about are turning away from something, presumably wisdom and
> righteousness, rather than moving "toward" it. So "froward" is not an
> error. It *is* a really funny word, though.

It's a *great* word!  Funny, *and* it makes sense :-)  Thanks to all who
allowed this to come to my attention.

This list exists purely for my edification, I see that now.  Where do I
send pizza?

--
 \      "We tend to scoff at the beliefs of the ancients. But we can't |
  `\        scoff at them personally, to their faces, and this is what |