[linux-elitists] 'sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get install bible-kjv bible-kjv-text'

Modus Operandi modus@as220.org
Tue Jun 3 21:40:33 PDT 2003

Ben Finney <bignose@zip.com.au> looked into the void, and said:
> On Tue, 3 Jun 2003, Modus Operandi wrote:
> > So my question is, when I find typos like the above, how hard is it to
> > s/froward/forward/g and donate the correction to the codebase?
>
> One would think that "donate to the codebase" should at least suggest
> getting the *source* for the package, instead of trying to modify the
> *binary* package of an database version of the Bible.

  That really was just me being stupid (as opposed to trying to be funny.)
  Thanks for the tip.

> =====
> $ cd ~
> $ apt-get source bible-kjv-text
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> Need to get 1388kB of source archives.
> Get:1 http://proxy testing/main bible-kjv 4.14 (dsc) [616B]
> Get:2 http://proxy testing/main bible-kjv 4.14 (tar) [1388kB]
> Fetched 1388kB in 56s (24.4kB/s)
> dpkg-source: extracting bible-kjv in bible-kjv-4.14

  Well, now I see how easy it really is.

> $ cd bible-kjv-4.14/
> $ grep -c froward bible.rawtext
> 23
> =====
>
> Quite a common error.  Shall you submit a patch or shall I?

  They'll probably throw it out ... the reason the word is so common is
  because it's really supposed to be the word "froward" (see other
  replies in thread) which was apparently in common usage when the KJV
  was drafted. To : fro :: toward : froward. Those froward folks Solomon
  warns us about are turning away from something, presumably wisdom and
  righteousness, rather than moving "toward" it. So "froward" is not an
  error. It *is* a really funny word, though.

--
/home/modus/.signature