[linux-elitists] Re: SCO Teleconference transcript (Friday, May 30, 2003)

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Mon Jun 2 08:31:38 PDT 2003

on Mon, Jun 02, 2003 at 07:35:12AM -0700, Wendell Cochran (atrypa@eskimo.com) wrote:
> Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2003 20:58:04 -0700
> From: Nick Moffitt <nick@zork.net>
>
> [SNIP]
> >        Given the sheer size of the Linux kernel, even if you omit the
> vast amount of the code which exists in device drivers, what is the
> probability that you'll find some few hundred lines of code peppered
> about the thing that look like any other C project. . . .
>
> >        Now imagine that you're comparing two posix operating systems.
> Who here expects that you *won't* find somewhere under a KLOC of
> matching code?
> [snip]
>

> The SCO farce begins to remind me of the old Shakespearean-code hoax
> (cf the extant Bible Code): any sizable text can be made to produce
> any message desired.
>
> That's even without fraudulent intent.  Gullibility will do.

Ah, profit motive:

  1. Sell corporate-targeted Linux.
  2. Buy dying Unix company.
  3. Generate arbitrary message search algorithm.
  4. Turn "The Linux Code" into a pulp newstand bestseller. [1]
  5. Profit!

Peace.

Notes:

1.  ObRef:  The Bible Code: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0684849739