[linux-elitists] SCO Teleconference transcript (Friday, May 30, 2003)

Nick Moffitt nick@zork.net
Sun Jun 1 20:58:04 PDT 2003

begin  Karsten M. Self  quotation:
>   - SCO claims that the answer to the question: is there evidence of
>     infringing SCO code in the Linux kernel is "a resounding
>     'Yes!'", with "hundreds of lines" of allegedly infringed code to
>     be shown.  Much is made of the scale of the source code search:
>     "we're dealing with multiple versions of Linux over many years,
>     and huge amounts of source code".

	Does this seem just the slightest bit innumerate to anyone
else here?  I've been smirking at that "hundreds of lines" comment
since I read it on this list a while back.

	Given the sheer size of the Linux kernel, even if you omit the
vast amount of the code which exists in device drivers, what is the
probability that you'll find some few hundred lines of code peppered
about the thing that look like any other C project.  Allow for
translation into kernel normal form.

	Now imagine that you're comparing two posix operating systems.
Who here expects that you *won't* find somewhere under a KLOC of
matching code?

	I mean really, what the hell can you DO in "hundreds of lines"
of C?  It's not like this is python or LISP, where you can write
entire applications in a few hundred lines.  Are these "hundreds of
lines" contiguous?

--

end