[linux-elitists] USB knobs and buttons.

Nick 'Sharkey' Moore sharkey@zoic.org
Thu Jul 31 15:51:47 PDT 2003

On 2003-07-31, Joakim Ziegler wrote:
> Thanks for advice and pointers.

No worries.  I'm thinking of getting hold of one of those little
USB critters myself, just for experiments ...

> Another fun question to ponder: Are there good, reasonably priced, Linux
> controllable video matrix switchers out there? JWZ uses one at the DNA
> Lounge, described at http://www.dnalounge.com/backstage/src/switcher/

Ah, that wacky jwz.  Umm.  One problem he might be having is sync,
if the signals don't share sync he's going to have trouble getting
the TVs to resync if he changes too often.  Or he might be right
and it's the serial line, in which case he needs to get the box off
that thing and give it a USB interface, damnit!

> I'm slightly surprised noone's put this
> functionality on a PCI card with a breakout box or something, really.

Go for it!  You'd just need to connect one of those USB interface
cards up to a 8x4 video crossbar IC, or several.  Mitel used to make one,
but I can't find it now ... the microship project uses them,
so maybe you could ask that guy ...

If you really wanted to fix the sync problem, you'd need to come
up with something Fiendishly Clever, like a set of video FIFOs
which could adjust frame sync.

ObElitist:  Hey, at least it's an open standard.

--
Nick 'Sharkey' Moore  <sharkey@zoic.org>  <http://zoic.org/sharkey>
AUSTIN, TEXAS: Sabrina, 6, was abducted by her non-custodial mother on