[linux-elitists] USB knobs and buttons.

Joakim Ziegler joakim@avmaria.com
Thu Jul 31 01:14:00 PDT 2003

Thanks for advice and pointers. It seems there are quite a few different
ways to achieve what I want. Since I was bored, and thought maybe
someone else might be interested in a quick summary of the findings, I
put together a page:

http://www.avmaria.com/docs/knobs_and_buttons.html

(Ultra-quick summary: There's lots of cool hardware that works)

Another fun question to ponder: Are there good, reasonably priced, Linux
controllable video matrix switchers out there? JWZ uses one at the DNA
Lounge, described at
http://www.dnalounge.com/backstage/src/switcher/
but it's controlled by serial port, and can only do about one switch per
second, which sucks quite a lot. I'm slightly surprised noone's put this
functionality on a PCI card with a breakout box or something, really. OR
just any switcher that works reasonably well, with low latency, and in
the 4x2-8x4 size range, S-video, firewire, or combinations thereof.

I fear I'm straying off topic for the list now, but recommendations from
others is one of the best ways to figure this stuff out.

--
   The Private Joakim Ziegler - Not Speaking For Anyone But Myself
    joakim@avmaria.com - http://www.avmaria.com - rdgzt@Undernet