[linux-elitists] USB knobs and buttons.

Nick 'Sharkey' Moore sharkey@zoic.org
Wed Jul 30 22:10:25 PDT 2003

[Damn!  I did that stupid reply to sender thing by accident!
Sorry for the two copies Joakim.  Serves me right for also
subscribing to insufficiently elite mailing lists!]

On 2003-07-30, Joakim Ziegler wrote:
> So, perhaps the elitists can help me with this:
>
> I want to connect knobs and buttons to my GNU/Linux box. Preferably by
> USB. Nothing extreme, maybe 8-16 pushbuttons and 2-6 knobs/sliders. I'd
> prefer something like an USB box with analog inputs that I can just
> solder wires onto, but I'm open to gutting more complete devices too.

You could look at <http://www.dontronics.com/dlp.html> this sort
of module, which gives you eight bidirectional I/O pins.

Or if you need something way more complex, you could use one of
the microcontrollers with USB on 'em.

> All of this in one or more USB devices, and usable with Linux, with or
> with or without weird kernel patches/drivers.

The one I gave a URL for above seems to have a driver:
	<http://www.intra2net.com/opensource/ftdi/index.html>

------sharks
--
Nick 'Sharkey' Moore  <sharkey@zoic.org>  <http://zoic.org/sharkey>
"The use of COBOL cripples the mind; its teaching should, therefore, be