[linux-elitists] Shouldn't IBM just buy these bums?

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Tue Jul 29 01:57:51 PDT 2003

on Mon, Jul 28, 2003 at 08:25:40PM +0200, Mikael Pawlo (mikael@pawlo.com) wrote:
> At 4:15 PM -0400 7/25/03, Justin F. Knotzke wrote:
> >  So I am reading http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/31938.html I am
> >starting to wonder if it's not just better that IBM buys SCO out and
> >lets us all get on with it.
> >  What happens if IBM wins but SCO starts to sue individual companies?
> >They may in fact lose each and every case but wouldn't the damage have
> >been done already?
>

> 1. SCO will financially never survive a loss to IBM in the courtroom.
> Last time I looked the company was in dire straits.

Or its executives, directors, and possibly financial backers, including
the Canopy Group, depending on how much corporate veil they can or
cannot manage to keep between themselves and the firestorm which
Caldera/SCO is rapidly becoming.

The current stock pump-and-dump profits exceed $1.25 m since June 20[1].
The Vultus shell game allowed an inflated stock purchase of another
Caonopy Group company, including debt retirement[2].

I was among those who strongly urged IBM to a scorched earth campaign
regarding Caldera/SCO.  And I think they're following it.  What I don't
think is that they should be the only ones to take this path.  Ways in
which Caldera/SCO's attention can be divided would likely be to the
mutual benefit of free software partisans.

Have you filed your SEC complaint yet?

> 2. Why would SCO start suing other companies (what do you mean by
> 'individiual'?), should it lose to IBM? It does not make any sense.
> The companies would rather easily point to the IBM win and get a
> declaratory judgment (or at least a preliminary injunction) against
> SCO.

Right.

Suing other parties prior to a settlement with IBM is a distinct
possiblity though.

Peace.

Notes:

1.  http://yro.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=72765&cid=6555853
    http://biz.yahoo.com/t/s/scox.html

2.  http://www.computerworld.com/softwaretopics/os/linux/story/0,10801,83452,00.html

    Reform three-strikes:  stop jailing nonviolent offenders.
    http://www.amend3strikes.org/