[linux-elitists] Shouldn't IBM just buy these bums?

Mikael Pawlo mikael@pawlo.com
Mon Jul 28 11:25:40 PDT 2003

At 4:15 PM -0400 7/25/03, Justin F. Knotzke wrote:
>  So I am reading http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/31938.html I am
>starting to wonder if it's not just better that IBM buys SCO out and
>lets us all get on with it.
>  What happens if IBM wins but SCO starts to sue individual companies?
>They may in fact lose each and every case but wouldn't the damage have
>been done already?

1. SCO will financially never survive a loss to IBM in the courtroom. Last time I looked the company was in dire straits.

2. Why would SCO start suing other companies (what do you mean by 'individiual'?), should it lose to IBM? It does not make any sense. The companies would rather easily point to the IBM win and get a declaratory judgment (or at least a preliminary injunction) against SCO.

3. Third party companies make all kinds of intellectual property claims all the time. IBM has a lot of litigation in its lap already and would most probably not settle, should not SCO have a very strong case. It's a bad precedent, not very far from paying a blackmailer or terrorist to stay away from your porch (or Porsche - if you are that lucky!).

Just my 0,02 Euro.

Regards,

Mikael

And Nick, sorry about this .-) :