[linux-elitists] Boies Faces Ethics Charges

Adam Kessel adam@bostoncoop.net
Tue Jul 22 18:52:04 PDT 2003

On Wed, Jul 23, 2003 at 02:47:02AM +0100, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> > Lawyer Boies Faces Ethics Charges
> > WEST PALM BEACH, Fla., July 19 -- The lawyer who represented Al Gore
> > in his Supreme Court challenge of Florida results in the 2000 presidential
> > election has been accused of ethics violations in another case.
> Could you provide more details?  The WashPost's privacy-invasion / cooke
> barrier keeps me from seeing the copy.

I always just put "female", "1965", and "20171", which is the example
year and ZIP code they give, so that you know what a year and ZIP code
is.  Then I delete the cookie afterwards.

Lawyer Boies Faces Ethics Charges

Associated Press
Sunday, July 20, 2003; Page A09

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla., July 19 -- The lawyer who represented Al Gore in
his Supreme Court challenge of Florida results in the 2000 presidential
election has been accused of ethics violations in another case.

A Florida Bar grievance committee found probable cause that David Boies
violated rules of misconduct by giving money to a client and improperly
supervising other lawyers.

The committee's July 10 finding is similar to an indictment. The case
will be heard by a judge appointed by the Florida Supreme Court.

The allegations stem from Boies's involvement in a legal battle between
the owners of two Palm Beach lawn-care companies. He is accused of
providing unlimited legal and financial help to one of the owners because
of an alleged personal relationship with her.

If found guilty, Boies could be barred from appearing in state courts in
Florida, where he is not licensed to practice law but appears on a
case-by-case basis.

"I think it's a shame he's been accused of something like this, and I'm
upset about it," said Boies spokesman James Fox Miller, a former
president of the Florida Bar.

Boies has handled several high-profile cases besides Gore's. He has
represented the New York Yankees in a suit against Major League Baseball,
and CBS in a libel suit brought by Gen. William Westmoreland.