[linux-elitists] SCO Unix License

Willy willy@linuxgazette.com
Tue Jul 22 08:50:30 PDT 2003

Does anyone have access to a copy of the latest SCO Unix license? I'm just
wondering if there are any "gotchas" in there which may have been added
recently. This came to mind since the press is implying that SCO is
"helping Linux users get licensed", but in reality they want to change
them over to Unix. I'm wondering whether when you accept this license, you
might in some way be jeopardizing your ability to do something with Linux
in the future; that if you changed over, you'd be agreeing that SCO does
in fact own the rights, and you would forfeit any rights you might have
even if the litigation were to fail.

Not a lawyer, I'm just guessing at a possible strategy. If it's true, it
should be well publicized before anybody ponies up. And I've seen such
licenses, as well as NDAs, which boink you in the long run.

Willy Smith
WorldWatch.LinuxGazette.com
Costa Rica