[linux-elitists] SCO website http://sco.iwethey.org

Geoff Lane zzassgl@buffy.sighup.org.uk
Mon Jul 21 22:48:57 PDT 2003

On Mon, Jul 21, 2003 at 03:49:01PM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> o  Alleged infringement is described as:  directly copied SysV code,
>    directly copied code from SysV-derived OSes, and use of SysV "methods
>    and concepts".

All current SYSV derived Unix-like operating systems implement the POSIX
standards, which in turn were based on the then existing AT&T and subsquent
implementations which SCO now claim copyright of.  Thus within all OSs that
implement POSIX we find header files with lists of #defines that are
substantally similar.

It makes me wonder if the IBM contract case is just one part of SCOs
tactics; the other being an attempt to make a claim on POSIX copyright.

Just another half-baked paranoid idea...

--
Geoff Lane