[linux-elitists] SCO website http://sco.iwethey.org

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Mon Jul 21 18:02:11 PDT 2003

begin Rick Moen quotation of Mon, Jul 21, 2003 at 03:49:01PM -0700:

> o  Caldera/SCO offer Linux end-users the alleged carrot of offer to purchase
>    a UnixWare 7.1.3 licence with binary-only Linux support, using the
>    implied stick of copyright-infringement litigation against them, and
>    tort claims against other parties including contributory infringement.

It's not clear if the offered binary-only license would permit
licensees to modify, recompile, or even possess and read Linux
source.  I'm trying for a clarification on this from SCO.

Since real-world business Linux users do install kernel source
packages and recompile the kernel, the licensing program may be of
limited applicability.  More when I have it.

There's also the curious incident of the dog in the night-time.
( http://www.bakerstreet221b.de/canon/silv.htm ) Nobody who has
the necessary information to make an informed decision about the
merits of SCO's claims is acting in a way that's consistent with
those claims.  There are many Unix source licensees who have had
every opportunity to examine their own copies of Unix kernel and
Linux source for possible infringement.  If it were there, one or
more of those companies would have settled up with SCO or backed
off on Linux support.

Opinder Bawa is, of course, another person who was in a position
to evaluate the claims, and we know about his decision.  Too bad
none of the people on the call asked about him.

KG6INA