[linux-elitists] A counterattack?

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Mon Jul 21 12:18:41 PDT 2003

begin Joe Barr quotation of Mon, Jul 21, 2003 at 01:42:21PM -0500:

(point of order: please put SCO in the subject line of SCO threads.
Thank you.)

> Maybe someone should sue SCO for using news conferences based on false
> allegations in order to manipulate their stock price.

The list of possible things you can sue SCO for is growing longer.
IANAL, but I have a background interview with one somewhere
around here.  Today's "licensing program" is likely to mean you,
the regular Linux user,  have a strong basis for filing for a
declararatory judgment.  You can say that you have a "reasonable
apprehension of suit" for using Linux, and want to settle it in
front of a judge in your own home court, on your own schedule.

Discovery in that case could result in opening up SCO's allegations,
and a vendor of products commonly used by Linux users and other
freedom lovers could almost certainly make such a suit pay for
itself in marketing value.

But one thing we learned from the NET Act and the Sklyarov case is
that getting the government to take a criminal case is much cheaper
than fighting a civil case yourself.  I wonder which jurisdiction's
law Darl and Chris broke today.

KG6INA