[linux-elitists] SCO website http://sco.iwethey.org

Greg Folkert greg@gregfolkert.net
Mon Jul 21 09:55:19 PDT 2003

After today's shenanigans, I'd have to believe we are going to have to
HELP people link the word SCO to http://sco.iwethey.org

Please let's all do our part and make this a whiz-bang. Whizzing right
under the noses of SCaldera and Bangin and beatin' the tsht out of them
with a clue-by-four-by-eight.

BTW, Karsten has done a good job with it. And since I am proprietor of
the machine it runs on... let's go get'em!

Bad Mojo as well: http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/030721/lam075_1.html

Rick Moen has very nice way of putting this:
They've registered SysV copyrights at the Copyright Office, which is
what one does to gain enforcement rights in copyright infringement
cases. This is sabre-rattling against all Linux users of any sort.

Quoting Rick Moen from a jabber session as the Press release was on
going (not fully inclusive):

They're essentially threatening end-users, and offering that you can
avoid them breaking your knees if you buy a UnixWare 7.1.3 licence.
They say they're still working out their protection racket.
Don Marti got in a question.  They ducked it by ignoring his point about
direction of copying.
He (Mc Bride or Sontag I assume) He pointed to the Ian Lance Taylor
analysis.
They're also asserting right to claim contributory infringement under
copyright law against anyone who's touched Linux code.
They also make the remarkable assertion that innovations originated in
SysV-derived works that get donated to Linux infringe their rights.
They hinted at that latter point earlier.  My remark at the time was
"Wow, talk about your viral code."
They're ducking a question about whether they're going to restate
earnings, which is interesting because SEC frowns on security fraud.
He just reiterated that the "hundreds of files" include all
contributions from SysV-licensee Unixes to 2.4 and later Linux kernels.
Which they assert copyright interest in, as derivative works of SysV.