[linux-elitists] [DMCA_Discuss] Some Xbox Fans Microsoft Didn't Aim For (fwd)

Laurie Lynne Tucker llt@eskimo.com
Thu Jul 10 09:48:01 PDT 2003

On Thu, Jul 10, 2003 at 10:12:47AM -0400, Mister Bad wrote:

>     NYT> What rights do consumers have to tinker with products they
>     NYT> own? How far should companies go to protect their
>     NYT> intellectual property? What happens when the desires of
>     NYT> consumers conflict with the business models of companies they
>     NYT> patronize? Who gets to decide just what a particular product
>     NYT> may be used for?
>
> I love this list of questions, presented as if this were a really
> head-scratcher of a subject. "Who gets to decide...?"
>
> I kinda wish the next paragraph had been:
>
>         "Microsoft's Xbox team worked _really_ _hard_ to make the Xbox
>         a great, fun gaming platform. It hurts their feelings a lot
>         when people don't use it the way they intended. 'It's like we
>         made these really nice crêpes suzettes for you, and you poured
>         ketchup and mustard on them,' says product manager Bob
>         Feldspar."
>
> ~Mr. Bad

Then have a Linux user say, "Well, I was just adding ice cream and
jimmies!"

-laurie

--
Laurie Lynne Tucker               .~.    Geek by Nature
Seattle, Washington              / V \   --------------