[linux-elitists] [DMCA_Discuss] Some Xbox Fans Microsoft Didn't Aim For (fwd)

Mister Bad mr.bad@pigdog.org
Thu Jul 10 07:12:47 PDT 2003

    NYT> What rights do consumers have to tinker with products they
    NYT> own? How far should companies go to protect their
    NYT> intellectual property? What happens when the desires of
    NYT> consumers conflict with the business models of companies they
    NYT> patronize? Who gets to decide just what a particular product
    NYT> may be used for?

I love this list of questions, presented as if this were a really
head-scratcher of a subject. "Who gets to decide...?"

I kinda wish the next paragraph had been:

        "Microsoft's Xbox team worked _really_ _hard_ to make the Xbox
        a great, fun gaming platform. It hurts their feelings a lot
        when people don't use it the way they intended. 'It's like we
        made these really nice crêpes suzettes for you, and you poured
        ketchup and mustard on them,' says product manager Bob
        Feldspar."

~Mr. Bad