[linux-elitists] Hacker-Friendly High-Speed Residential Internet

Tim Hammerquist tim+linux-elitists@vegeta.ath.cx
Wed Jul 9 11:13:22 PDT 2003

Mister Bad wrote:
> Does anyone know of an online resource listing hacker-friendly
> or Linux-friendly Internet access providers (especially
> high-speed Internet)? In particular, I'm looking for providers
> who will let you run my own DNS, mail, and Web server at home,
> and who preferably will give me at least 1 static IP address.
> In other words, who will let you have the dignity of a Free Man
> instead of a tethered milch cow.

I'm not personally aware of any lists.  I've used only local ISPs
since ISPs became big business and have found Great Basin
Internet Svcs <http://www.gbis.com> to be invaluable as a local DSL
provider.  They allow all the services you mention, so I know
others must be out there.

I would discourage any phone companies as DSL providers for the
general reason stated in this link:

  Subject: SBC: "DSL is not compatible with any form of Unix"
  http://www.rlug.org/pipermail/rlug/2003-March/001510.html

The whole threads pretty (entertaining|enlightening).

This is in northern Nevada, mind you.  Perhaps phone companies
in more populated areas aren't so near-sighted?  ;)

Cheers,
Tim Hammerquist
--
Last year in Oregon, Summer fell on a *tuesday*.
That was it. One day. Big shiny thing in the sky.