[linux-elitists] Hacker-Friendly High-Speed Residential Internet

K.R. Foley kr@cybsft.com
Wed Jul 9 10:40:36 PDT 2003

Mister Bad wrote:
> I need somebody to do my Google homework for me.
>
> Does anyone know of an online resource listing hacker-friendly or
> Linux-friendly Internet access providers (especially high-speed
> Internet)? In particular, I'm looking for providers who will let you
> run my own DNS, mail, and Web server at home, and who preferably will
> give me at least 1 static IP address. In other words, who will let you
> have the dignity of a Free Man instead of a tethered milch cow.
>
> Any good links?
>
> ~Mr. Bad

More generic (not necessarily hacker friendly) lists:
http://thelist.internet.com (oldest, most comprehensive list I know of)
http://www.dslreports.com (Not bad for getting the scoop on broadband
providers in different areas)

Help with dynamic DNS:
http://www.dyndns.org

Personally I have Charter Pipeline. In my area the service is flawless.
I have heard nightmares about service in areas in California. They have
business service that starts around $100 with one IP.

kr