[linux-elitists] Hacker-Friendly High-Speed Residential Internet

Adam Kessel adam@bostoncoop.net
Wed Jul 9 09:15:51 PDT 2003

I'm not aware of any major ISP that is particularly hacker friendly, but
I've had no problems running all of these services (DNS, SMTP, IMAP,
HTTP, etc.) with an AT&T Broadband connection. Although theoretically we
have a dynamic IP address, it hasn't changed in over a year. It appears
that they only give out new IP leases when you let go of the one you
have, and since our router is always on, we've never lost the address.

I've also used Hammernode (hn.org) for dynamic IP DNS service. It's free,
but there's only a limited number of slots for accounts, so you have to
wait for one to open up.

RCN blocks port 80 everywhere AFAICT.  So don't use them!

If you really want the dignity of a Free Man, I think you're going to
need to get access through something other than a mainstream ISP, though.

--Adam