[linux-elitists] On origins of MSFT code (hearsay) Re: [fsl-discuss] reusing code under BSD licence

D. Joe Anderson deejoe@raccoon.com
Mon Jul 7 20:11:03 PDT 2003

On Tue, Jun 24, 2003 at 04:35:39PM +0100, Karsten M. Self wrote:

> So I just contacted Bradford L. Smith's office at Microsoft with
> the following fax (after being informed by the Microsoft switchboard
> that first contacts must be in writing):

<snip>

> Of which there are several possible outcomes:
>
>   - "We don't know".  Wups.  "Microsoft can't track its software source
>     provenance..."
>
>   - "We know", followed by a figure.  Thank you, Mr. Smith.
>
>   - Silence, or refusal to answer.  Wups.  "Microsoft refuses to reveal
>     reliance on free, open source, or otherwise publicly available
>     source code within its products".

To be slightly more dispassionate about it, I'd

	s/refuses/seems, so far, unable or unwilling/

It's been about 2 weeks now, hasn't it?  With a holiday in the
middle, to be sure.

Any acknowledgement, at least?

--Joe