[linux-elitists] News conference, demonstrations, and talks inmid-July 2003

Jay Sulzberger jays@panix.com
Sat Jul 5 13:48:17 PDT 2003

On Sat, 5 Jul 2003, Peter Clay wrote:

> On Fri, 4 Jul 2003, Seth Johnson wrote:
>
> > The result is the same whether achieved by coup or "network effects."  It's
> > a difference that doesn't matter here.
>
> I disagree - process matters, and the manner in which things happen is
> also important. If huge numbers of people make an _informed_ choice and
> choose DRM, they may well be wrong, but what right to we have to stop
> them?

Two answers:

1. Home and small business computer buyers will not be offered a free
choice between Palladiated systems and free booting systems.  Indeed one of
the main objectives of the Palladium Invasion is that the present system
under which buyers are not offered a choice, see

http://www.windowsrefund.net

be continued, and Palladium is one of the tools to be used.  Today buyers
of partly Palladiated hardware are not told that the machines they take
home have spy and remote control devices inside.

2. Our system of government includes specific prohibitions against any
person or group of persons having the powers which Palladium would give to
the Englobulators.  Even if a majority might be persuaded in one election
to vote for the plank "Palladium in every computer and analog pot!".

ad 'the exact path of the process matters': I agree with you very much.
This is why I emphasize that the process of Englobulation has several
different articulated parts.  "horizontal `market' effects" is one part,
and market share, and thus citizen knowledge, is partly determined by these
effects.  And market share and the understanding of the People are an
important part of the order of battle as we run up to Palladium Showdown on
Main Street.

Do you know what percentage of new laptops and what percentage of new
desktops have Palladium/TCPA hardware in them today?  Do we know how many
machines, with the bit set to "Only We control this machine." have been
sold to businesses and military and secret police and other government
organizations?  If we do not get these numbers, and if we do not clearly
explain the change in the balance of power between home machine users and
the Englobulators, then we will lose this battle.

> As a practical matter, we are more likely to convince people that there is
> a problem with big corporations abusing market power (as this is something
> many people already thing) than that US and other governments will go to
> huge illegal lengths to ban an operating system that is not itself a
> threat.

Once the hardware is in every home computer, and once Microsoft operating
systems take advantage of the spy and remote control hardware, it is too
late.  Note that your same arguments would demonstrate that Microsoft made
no money last year, since nobody, given a free choice, would ever accept
such incompetent software from so untustworthy a company.

Today, most all United States government agencies and departments do not
allow the use of free OSes on their desktops.  Without the direct support
of the US government, by the granting of billions of dollars of contracts,
Microsoft would not be a member in good standing of the Englobulator High
Council.  Recently the Department of Justice has intervened to shield
Microsoft from any effective remedies in the latest antitrust action, which
Microsoft lost.  And on Monday 30 June 2003, I heard the head of Toshiba
American Information Systems Department of Strategic Alliances claim he had
never heard of the Microsoft EULA.  He made the claim under oath in open
court.  This perjury helped delay for some months one of the Continued
Actions for Refunds.  The other side already cheats and, in the face of a
long history of abuse, I think it unwise to stake all our defense on
getting a square deal, some time in the future, without our telling the
People what the real stakes are.  And the real stakes aren't whether our
music CDs are a little more or a little less annoying to play.

Microsoft has always spied on its users, and always denied it is doing so.
Palladium systems are designed to "shroud" their signals on the
motherboard, and by the use of gross encryption of packets, and, more
amusing, use of timing and sub-packet side channels, send complete
information about what you are doing with the machine in your house back to
Englobulator Central.  The DMCA makes it a felony for us to cooperate to
find out what is going on.

Palladium is Orwell's TV that watches you, with improvements.  And only the
one bit promise stands between you and the whole system being turned on.

> > Jay's right.  We must repudiate and refuse Palladium and TCPA.  It will be
> > vastly easier to act this very moment, than to act later.
>
> I note that the Intel serial number boycott was very effective in getting
> that absurdity removed. What is needed is to persuade a critical mass of
> users - possibly hundreds of thousands - that the bribes they are offered
> to take Pd are not worth the lost freedom.

The Intel serial number boycott did not stop Palladium, and Palladium is
worse, much worse, than a simple serial number in the cpu, that may be
called out by a command.

> > We can't allow our standing as free citizens in a free society to
> > become subject to outside control of our logic hardware -- whether at
> > the command of a privileged cabal, or of "market forces."
>
> "Unrestricted communication and computation being necessary to secure a
> free society, the right of the people to keep and bear logic devices shall
> not be infringed".

IT IS GOOD TO SEE THAT YOU STAND WITH US SIR!

> What I have been trying to say is that this stuff is still in the
> uncertain future, and it would be better to use events that have already
> happened. The Sklyarov case, the DeCSS cases, the corrupt CDs, and the
> BeOS antitrust lawsuit (which is still ongoing) are real injustices, and I
> think they would be more convincing than prophecies of doom. Predicting
> the end of the world is a venerable practice; but people have learned not
> to take it very seriously.
>
> Pete
> --
> Peter Clay                                         | Campaign for   _  _| .__
>                                                    | Digital       /  / | |
>                                                    | Rights!       \_ \_| |
>                                                    | http://www.ukcdr.org

Palladium roll-out does not lie in the uncertain future.  TCPA hardware is
being placed in laptops and desktop computers today:

http://www.nyfairuse.org/action/palladium

Microsoft has declared that Palladium will be in every Microsoft OS from
here on out.

Why take the risk that it is ever turned on, to do the various jobs it was
designed to do?  Designed by an alliance that has succeeded in keeping free
software off desktops for many years now.  By an alliance that has spent
billions to force Palladium into every home computer on the planet.  By an
alliance that has so far kept its moves almost entirely secret.

No, let us tell the People.

oo--JS.