[linux-elitists] News conference, demonstrations, and talks in mid-July 2003

Peter Clay pete@flatline.org.uk
Fri Jul 4 07:26:25 PDT 2003

On Thu, 3 Jul 2003, Jay Sulzberger wrote:

> 1. Once Palladiated hardware is fully deployed, then it is easy to give an
> Order From WorldHomeSec, that all cpu fabrication plants make a one bit
> change in all lines: flip the "can load own OS" bit to "no".  I will say
> more about this in my note on Amygdala's Error.

Which organisation is capable of issuing this kind of order to ALL fabs,
including those in Europe and Taiwan, and forcing them to obey it? Why
should Intel, AMD, and Via bow meekly to someone else's secret
scheme? "WorldHomeSec" is not currently in a position to do such things.

What we have to fear is not some bizarre anti-Linux world techno-coup -
we're simply not that much of a threat - what we have to fear is
privilege-creating law and the network effects of people accepting DRM.

Anyway, it's always good to hear of SOMEONE doing SOMETHING against
DRM. If you've got any tips on recruiting good activists, I'd be grateful
to hear them.

Good luck,
Pete
--
Peter Clay                                         | Campaign for   _  _| .__
                                                   | Digital       /  / | |