[linux-elitists] Using an xbox for demoing drm...

Jay Sulzberger jays@panix.com
Thu Jul 3 12:41:22 PDT 2003

On Thu, 3 Jul 2003, Modus Operandi wrote:

> Michael D. Jurney <mike@jurney.org> looked into the void, and said:
> >
> > On Thu, 3 Jul 2003, Jay Sulzberger wrote:
> >
> > > Most reporters for the New York Times can understand that an Xbox is a home
> > > computer with DRM.
> >
> > But can their readers?  More importantly, will they feel as though it
> > would be worth their time trying to explain that fact to their readers?
>
>   Before this discussion descends to the intellectual level of a lite
>   beer commercial ("Less filling!" "Tastes great!")  I'd like to propose
>   a compromise: First, show the CD, so the concept is communicated
>   forcefully to the lowest common denominator. Then, explain exactly how
>   the kind of DRM on the Xbox is worse. Patiently explain that the Xbox
>   may seem to be a toy, but it's actually a general-purpose computer
>   disguised as a toy. It's a one-two punch that could be a knockout.

Yes.  One of the main points of the FREE BOOT DEMONSTRATIONS AND HARANGUES
is that the word "DRM" is used to mean many different things.  Most of the
confusions work against us, hence

BOOT FREE AND CLARIFY!

oo--JS.