[linux-elitists] Using an xbox for demoing drm...

Modus Operandi modus@as220.org
Thu Jul 3 13:52:32 PDT 2003

Michael D. Jurney <mike@jurney.org> looked into the void, and said:

> On Thu, 3 Jul 2003, Jay Sulzberger wrote:
>
> > Most reporters for the New York Times can understand that an Xbox is a home
> > computer with DRM.
>
> But can their readers?  More importantly, will they feel as though it
> would be worth their time trying to explain that fact to their readers?

  Before this discussion descends to the intellectual level of a lite
  beer commercial ("Less filling!" "Tastes great!")  I'd like to propose
  a compromise: First, show the CD, so the concept is communicated
  forcefully to the lowest common denominator. Then, explain exactly how
  the kind of DRM on the Xbox is worse. Patiently explain that the Xbox
  may seem to be a toy, but it's actually a general-purpose computer
  disguised as a toy. It's a one-two punch that could be a knockout.

--
/home/modus/.signature