[linux-elitists] Using an xbox for demoing drm...

Jay Sulzberger jays@panix.com
Thu Jul 3 11:51:13 PDT 2003

On Thu, 3 Jul 2003 mike@jurney.org wrote:

> On Thu, 3 Jul 2003, Jay Sulzberger wrote:
>
> > We are not fighting to keep CD usage exactly as convenient as it is today.
> > We are fighting to stop the Englobulators from taking away our computers
> > and our Net, making private ownership of computers a felony, free speech
> > illegal, and offering us Xboxen in return.
>
> A reporter can understand it when a CD that should play won't.  It's much
> harder for one to understand that anything's wrong in the first place when
> linux won't boot on a game console, much less _why_ it's wrong.
>
> It doesn't matter what's inside an x-box;  Your audience doesn't think
> it's a computer, so when you say linux won't boot on it they'll say "Well,
> of course it won't" and write about something else.
>
> > We intend to educate reporters, not encourage them in their delusions.
>
> Education is a multi-step process.
>
> --
> Michael D. Jurney

No.  This is unwarranted defeatism based on an inaccurate estimate of how
good reporters are.  Many are better than you estimate.

The Xbox is a home computer with DRM.  And we can and we will convey this.
And it is a story.

oo--JS.