[linux-elitists] Using an xbox for demoing drm...

Jay Sulzberger jays@panix.com
Thu Jul 3 11:17:08 PDT 2003

On Thu, 3 Jul 2003, Chris DiBona wrote:

> I hate to disagee, but the Xbox represents console gaming to the media,
> not computing. If you say to a reporter, "look, the xbox doesn't run
> linux" they'll give you that glassy look. I suggest the cd analogy because
> you can say, look: here is where they already practice drm and look how it
> screwed the consumer. Yes, the xbox has drm, and yes it is a good example,
> but if you want column inches, pick an easy analogy, and one that has
> already spawned lawsuits, stories and outrage.
>
> The only ones pissed about not running linux on xboxs are the converted
> that can't actually price out computers to see that xbox is actually too
> expensive for what you get.
>
>  Chris

We are not fighting to keep CD usage exactly as convenient as it is today.
We are fighting to stop the Englobulators from taking away our computers
and our Net, making private ownership of computers a felony, free speech
illegal, and offering us Xboxen in return.

We intend to educate reporters, not encourage them in their delusions.

oo--JS.