[linux-elitists] Using an xbox for demoing drm...

Jay Sulzberger jays@panix.com
Thu Jul 3 10:56:36 PDT 2003

On Thu, 3 Jul 2003, Chris DiBona wrote:

> >We'd be happy to use an Xbox to demonstrate what even joke-weak DRM does
> in
> >practice, to markets, and to powers of ownership, and one-quarter step
> >indirect, to our powers of speech and assembly by means of our Net.
>
> I'd suggest that using an xbox would confuse the issue for the media.
> Mentioning it in your materieals would work out okay, but it would just
> serve to distract in a press conference setting. I'd suggest finding one
> of those copy "protected" cds and show how it won't play in certain cd
> players as a demonstraction of where things can go with computers.
>
>  Chris DiBona

The Xbox is apposite here, and the trammeled CD less so.  We are not
dealing with minor inconveniences in playing popular music.  The Xbox is a
home computer with one more thing: the Xbox is under DRM.  Can you boot a
free OS on an Xbox?  Not if Microsoft has its way.  So Microsoft is now
selling a home computer which at all times remains under the control of
Microsoft and its licensees.  I have exaggerated: a few Xboxen have been
liberated by small bands of hardy solderers and law-breakers, free booters
all.

The Xbox shows what DRM is.

oo--JS.