[linux-elitists] The breadth of SCO's claims

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Wed Jul 2 13:48:27 PDT 2003

on Wed, Jul 02, 2003 at 09:57:39AM -0400, Aaron Sherman (ajs@ajs.com) wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-07-01 at 17:40, Karsten M. Self wrote:
>
> > I'll merely repeat:  your assumptions, logic, and conclusions are all
> > grossly in error.  I'm not taking this personally.  I'm merely getting
> > tired of stating this fact.
>
> Karsten, I didn't miss that you said that. I replied that I didn't
> understand how you supported it, but I was done with the conversation,
> and was simply asking what ticked you off so badly. Clearly I've
> insulted you to the point that you won't even take my question
> seriously. I'm hurt by that, and rather put off on contributing on L-E
> any more because of it. From your comments above, though, I guess you'll
> be pleased with that :-(

Your assertions are demonstrably false.

Example:  a work including works under both the GPL and BSD licenses is
not governed by one license, but by both.  The terms of both the GPL and
the BSD license must be satisfied.  Unless you are specifically given
the option to chose licensing under one license or the other (your noted
case is the example where this exception is granted), then you are
bound, in the combined work, by the terms of both licenses.

I'm including a list of packages from my Debian installation which are
licensed under such terms, with this email.

I consider this a suitably strong refutation by example of your
assertion:

    As far as I know, you cannot distribute a work under two licenses at
    the same time