[linux-elitists] News conference, demonstrations, and talks in mid-July 2003

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Wed Jul 2 13:05:25 PDT 2003

begin Jay Sulzberger quotation of Wed, Jul 02, 2003 at 03:22:56PM -0400:

> TCPA does not permit free booting.  Perhaps it might be said to do so, but
> only in the same sense as Microsoft says that the EULA gets you a refund.

You're going to have to supply a meaningful definition for "free
booting" in order for people to understand the above assertion.
Do you mean something other than "boot an arbitrary operating
system, possibly written or modified by the user, without having
to get permission from anyone?"

If you don't have a signed OS, a TCPA-equipped system seems not to
lack any of the functionality of a non-TCPA system.   Please correct
me if I'm wrong.

> With the dispositive evidence provided by the Xbox and the Refund Clause,
> our side must state the truth: An Englobulated computer will not free boot,
> and an Englobulated Net will end free speech and free assembly for the
> whole world.

I don't doubt you on the generalities, but I'm having trouble
reconciling the "free boot" part with the TCPA documentation and
with what I've heard from Seth Schoen.

KG6INA