[linux-elitists] News conference, demonstrations, and talks in mid-July 2003

Jay Sulzberger jays@panix.com
Wed Jul 2 12:22:56 PDT 2003

On Wed, 2 Jul 2003, Don Marti wrote:

> begin Jay Sulzberger quotation of Wed, Jul 02, 2003 at 02:47:04PM -0400:
>
> > Some of us would like to give a news conference some time in July 2003,
> > hopefully near the middle of the month, at which we would demonstrate how a
> > home computer boots today, and explain how, under DRM, home computers would
> > not permit free booting.
>
> Do you have a DRM-based system to demonstrate?  The XBox is basically
> a PC plus DRM, but its system is not being seriously proposed for
> regular PCs.  Or would you use a simulated system, or an XBox board
> in a PC?  TCPA does appear to allow for booting a free OS.
>
> --
> Don Marti                Reform copyright law -- return abandoned works

We'd be happy to use an Xbox to demonstrate what even joke-weak DRM does in
practice, to markets, and to powers of ownership, and one-quarter step
indirect, to our powers of speech and assembly by means of our Net.

TCPA does not permit free booting.  Perhaps it might be said to do so, but
only in the same sense as Microsoft says that the EULA gets you a refund.
If we allow the Englobulators to force Palladium/TPM into home systems,
these home computers will not be allowed to free boot.

We should not repeat incorrect claims of the Englobulators.  We do not
repeat Microsoft lies about EULA Refunds, and we should not repeat
Microsoft lies about Palladium/TCPA.

With the dispositive evidence provided by the Xbox and the Refund Clause,
our side must state the truth: An Englobulated computer will not free boot,
and an Englobulated Net will end free speech and free assembly for the
whole world.

oo--JS.