[linux-elitists] MS SQL WORM IS DESTROYING INTERNET BLOCK PORT 1434!

Jay Sulzberger jays@panix.com
Wed Jan 29 22:10:04 PST 2003

On Thu, 30 Jan 2003, Karsten M. Self wrote:

< ... />

>                      I'm satisfied that the numbers work out about where
> I'd put them originally, though this comes by adding in the Win2K
> desktop market.  Graham largely supports my conclusion:  patching isn't
> effective against this kind of threat.
>
> Peace.
>
> --
> Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com>        http://kmself.home.netcom.com/

The crudest of changepoint analysis would have stopped the attack in under
a minute, had it been installed in front of all ports.  Of course, for
serious networks, you want a changepoint analyzer running on data streams
below the port level.

oo--JS.