[linux-elitists] BLASTING MICROSOFT BECAUSE OF WORM

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Wed Jan 29 16:01:04 PST 2003

on Wed, Jan 29, 2003 at 06:46:52PM -0500, Michael Bacarella (mbac@netgraft.com) wrote:
> > While it's fun (however unsporting) to blast away at Microsoft for its
> > security deficiencies, IMO the free software world should view the
> > Sapphire / Slammer worm as more a cautionary tale.  This is the sort of
> > attack which _could_ potentially hit GNU/Linux or another 'Nix.  I feel
> > that the likelihood is lower than that for legacy MS Windows, though
> > there are a large number of likely poorly maintained GNU/Linux and other
> > 'Nix systems live on the Net.
>
> There are definitely reasons to blast Microsoft:

...and this does precisely *what* to make your systems more secure?

The on-topic portion of my post was to point out the lessons and
cautions the free software world can take from this incident.

Thank you for missing the point entirely.

Peace.

   Hollings:  bought, paid for, but couldn't deliver the CBDTPA:
     http://www.politechbot.com/docs/cbdtpa/hollings.s2048.032102.html