[linux-elitists] MS SQL WORM IS DESTROYING INTERNET BLOCK PORT 1434!

Aaron Sherman ajs@ajs.com
Wed Jan 29 07:00:12 PST 2003

On Sat, 2003-01-25 at 16:26, Don Marti wrote:
> begin Michael Bacarella quotation of Sat, Jan 25, 2003 at 02:11:41AM -0500:
>
> > All admins with access to routers should block port 1434 (ms-sql-m)!
>
> Anybody who has _any_ relational database server directly connected
> to the Internet please save some of whatever you're smoking for me.

"directly" is a subjective term these days. I don't have anything
"directly" connected to the Internet other than my ISP's router. I do
have many services that I offer on public IPs, but I restrict them via
source-IP. Some of those services are database ports.

The problem is that some people who were doing things like what I do
(not me, since I run non-MS software) were hosed because those that they
trusted were compromised.

In that case, there's not much you can do. You have to keep up-to-date
with the patches. Even worse, that part isn't OS-specific. Every OS has
do deal with software bugs that lead to compromise. Automatic update is
one way around it, but I would never trust MS EULA-viruses to update my
box. :(

--
Aaron Sherman <ajs@ajs.com>
This message (c) 2003 by Aaron Sherman,