[linux-elitists] Worm, etc.

Modus Operandi modus@as220.org
Sat Jan 25 18:58:01 PST 2003

Jim Bray <jb@as220.org> looked into the void, and said:

>   Looks like they might have realised they screwed up.
> lynx -head dhs.gov shows:
>
> HTTP/1.0 302 Moved
> Temporarily                                                  Server:
> AkamaiGHost
> Location:
> http://www.dhs.gov/
>
>   And the netcraft site shows it switched from being win2k to Linux
> today. Probably the worm got the win2k box.

Yup, looks like the MS-SQL worm slammed the Department of Homeland
*cough* Security. The timing is uncanny. They had some solid
uptime there with Win2K, but they had to switch to open source
due to security issues. I guess they are running Oracle on
Linux, which still locks them in to a proprietary vendor, but
at least it is now running on FREEBOXEN!

--
| Random  Oedipus | "No one can do to the Disney Corporation what |