[linux-elitists] MS SQL WORM IS DESTROYING INTERNET BLOCK PORT 1434!

Alan DuBoff aland@SoftOrchestra.com
Sat Jan 25 16:19:03 PST 2003

On Saturday 25 January 2003 13:26, Don Marti wrote:
> Anybody who has _any_ relational database server directly connected
> to the Internet please save some of whatever you're smoking for me.

No $#!T...although the lack of incompetence in admining the databases coupled
with the incompetence of closing the ports on the firewalls has led to a lot
of open databases in the past couple years, but mostly due to *incompetence*.

FWIW, it's pretty easy to cross compiler the mysql-client code to various
embedded processors, and it's easy to connect to a database over the
network!<g> I did that as a test on the Kerbango, but only as a test, and
always planned to submit all data through HTTP on port 80 using a post and/or
XML. Damn I love port 80, even in the worst case where you have to use a
proxy.

--

Alan DuBoff
Software Orchestration, Inc.