[linux-elitists] An Introduction to Open Access for Librarians / Peter Suber (fwd)

Eugen Leitl eugen@leitl.org
Thu Jan 23 09:47:57 PST 2003

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 11:10:29 -0600
From: Gerry Mckiernan <gerrymck@IASTATE.EDU>
To: CHMINF-L@LISTSERV.INDIANA.EDU
Subject: An Introduction to Open Access for Librarians / Peter Suber

                      " Removing the Barriers to Research:
             An Introduction to Open Access for Librarians"
       Peter Suber, Philosophy Department, Earlham College

    For those unfamiliar with the Free Online Scholarship / Open Access
movements, Peter Suber, one of the most active members of The Cause,
has prepared an excellent, succinct review and Introduction to Open Access for Librarians

_College & Research Libraries News_ 64 (February 2003) pp. 92-94, 113.

         [  http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/writing/acrl.htm ]

"The benefit of open access to libraries is solving the pricing and
permission crises. The benefit to scholars, beyond the benefit to
libraries, is giving readers barrier-free access to the literature they
need, and giving authors larger audiences and greater impact. Because the
benefits on both sides are immense, librarians and scholars should work
together to bring open access, step by step, to every institution and
discipline."

BTW: This May be the Most Important Article You Read This Year [Seriously]

<Self-Promotion>
   I can not resist the opportunity to promote a three-part series I am currently preparing for _Library Hi Tech News_
  [ www.emeraldinsight.com/rpsv/lhtn.htm ] on "Scholar-based Innovations in  Publishing". The first part in the series is devoted to Individual and Institutional initiatives, the second profiles Library and Professional efforts, while the third will describe Organizational and National efforts. I expect the first part of the series to be published in a LHTN Spring issue.
</Self-Promotion>

   Regards,

/Gerry

Gerry McKiernan
Open Librarian
Iowa State University
Ames IA 50011

gerrymck@iastate.edu

"An old tradition and a new technology have converged to make possible an unprecedented public good."
                       Budapest Open Access Initiative

CHMINF-L Archives (also to join or leave CHMINF-L, etc.)
http://listserv.indiana.edu/archives/chminf-l.html
Search the CHMINF-L archives at:
http://listserv.indiana.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=chminf-l
Sponsors of CHMINF-L: