Strategy: Re: [linux-elitists] LOCAL Stanford University: face down the DMCA enforcers

Shawn McMahon smcmahon@eiv.com
Tue Jan 21 08:01:47 PST 2003

On Tue, Jan 21, 2003 at 03:54:11PM +0000, Karsten M. Self said:

> ...and if they simplay place this sign on top of the VCR?

Still a crime, and rightly so.  But a lesser crime.  I'd expect a
citation, not an arrest, unless one had a history of it.

> IP and real property crime analogs suffer greatly from the nonrivalry
> assymetry.  With IP, you *can* be in two places at once.

True, but there are still costs involved, and still one has a right to
expect one's servers won't be misused, and a recourse when they are.
That's a fundamental piece of property rights, and if you give it up
just because the property happens to have a microprocessor in it you're
on a slippery slope.

> The problem isn't the sensible cases.  It's the Jackson Games ones.

Absolutely agreed.  I don't begrudge Steve my tax dollars he got back in
that case.

> It's Randall Schwartz informing Intel that their systems suffer from
> pervasive use of weak passwords.

Well, there are two sides to that one, but still agreed.  I'm in the
midst of getting management permission to run Crack on some systems now,
but I'm getting the permission FIRST, running it second.  If I don't get
that permission, I'll be documenting my objections and looking for
another solution, not firing up Crack.

--
"Under no circumstances will I ever purchase anything offered to me as
the result of an unsolicited email message. Nor will I forward chain