Strategy: Re: [linux-elitists] LOCAL Stanford University: face down the DMCA enforcers

Shawn McMahon smcmahon@eiv.com
Tue Jan 21 05:52:15 PST 2003

On Tue, Jan 21, 2003 at 09:35:59AM +0000, Karsten M. Self said:

>     Point 1. is that cracking is almost always negligence on the part of
>     the cracked site (and coverup).  Point 2. is that common proprietary

If you leave your front door closed, but unlocked, and someone comes in
and replaces your VCR with a sign that says "j00 have been 0wnz0rd by
Count Zer0", it's still a crime, and you're still out real money, and no
court in the land will accept "he should have locked his door" as a
defense.

We don't accept this defense for any crime; why should we accept it for
vandalism just because it's committed with and on a computer instead of
a brick wall?

--
Shawn McMahon            | Emacs: It's a nice OS, but to compete with
AIM work: spmcmahonfedex | Linux or Windows it needs a better text