[linux-elitists] LOCAL Stanford University: face down the DMCA enforcers

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Sun Jan 19 12:31:14 PST 2003

Larry:  Please don't CC: me on list mail.  I read it.

I've also written you off-list on community norms.  I'd strongly
recommend you reqcquaint yourself with ESR's "Email Quoting" essay:

    http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/jargon/html/Email-Quotes.html

on Sun, Jan 19, 2003 at 12:25:10AM -0800, Larry M. Augustin (lma@lmaugustin.com) wrote:
> on Friday, January 17, 2003 6:46 PM Karsten M. Self wrote
> > on Fri, Jan 17, 2003 at 05:08:47PM -0800, Don Marti (dmarti@zgp.org)
> > wrote:
> > > Richard Stallman just passed this along to me.  I won't be around,
> > > since I'll be in New York for LinuxWorld, but someone else might
> > > want to organize a group of freedom-loving people to go and hand
> > > out some anti-DMCA flyers, ask good questions, and so on.
> > >
> > > "How can you enforce laws that ban Academic Freedom in computer
> > > science and then walk into a university and ask for help?"
> > >
> > > Remember, protests and demonstrations are GOOD FOR YOUR HEALTH.
> >

> > Note that the CSL Colloquia are a great opportunity to meet with all
> > sorts of folks on all aspects of technology.  The faculty, particularly
> > John Wharton, are very aware that they offer an opening for the public,
> > and the range of viewpoints presented is large (Lessig spoke at the CSL
> > a year ago).
> >
> > Target the _speakers_ and _philosophy_, not the program itself.
> >
> > That said -- go forth and make a joyous noise ;-)

> I think that it would be a big mistake to do anything that might be viewed
> as even the slightest bit disruptive in this venue.  Further, I think
> you're jumping to conclusions to assume that the DMCA is relevant to
> these speakers.

Whether they're aware of it may or may not be a matter of debate.  DMCA
is certainly relevant.

> Dennis Allison and John Wharton, both of whom I have known for years,
> are sympathetic to free software and sympathetic to the problems with
> the DMCA.  Dennis regularly brings in Bruce, Eric, and Richard as
> speakers.  I've spoken at this seminar on 2 or 3 occasions.  Bruce was
> just there a few weeks ago talking about the RAND vs. RF patent policy
> issues.

I'm not as familiar with Dennis.  I know that John intends the
colloquium in part for its role in bringing the two sides of such
debates together.  For harsh questioning or making of statements if
necessary.

The collquia _are_ a venue in which public statements and feedback can
be made.  For many of those who lead more sheltered roles in
technological development, this may be one of the few opportunities they
have to emerge into daylight.

The colloquia are also taped, broadcast over SITN, and streamed over the
Internet.  A number of technology companies follow the series.  The
press are not infrequent attendees.  Your audience is larger than just
those in the basement of the Gates building.

> Cops have a tough job.  They deserve our thanks for doing a tough job.
> I have a number of close friends who are cops.  I think they deserve
> more benefit of doubt than "Target the _speakers_ and _philosophy_".
> It doesn't sound like these are people that write the laws or make
> policy.  Maybe they spend their time fighting real computer crime like
> identity theft and crackers.  They deserve our support in that job.

I suppose we're going to appeal to our bought-and-paid for legislators.
Or the "we dare not disturb the balance" courts?  Why not tell the front
line that they're on the wrong side?  I guess the Auschwitz guards also
had a tough time, so, everybody, let's not be too hard on them.

Memo to Larry:  sometimes, just sometimes, the dude on the front line
realizes he's *on the wrong side*, and is in precisely the right
position to do something about it.  Why deny Mssrs Lalone, Miravelle,
and Demma this opportunity to orient their moral compass?

> Has anyone talked to Dennis?  Before jumping to any conclusions, or
> organizing any kind of protest or demonstration, talk to Dennis.

Well there, that's actually a semi-sensible suggestion.

Peace.

  Prizes are for children.
  		-- Charles Ives, upon being given, but refusing, the
  		   Pulitzer prize