[linux-elitists] LOCAL Stanford University: face down the DMCA enforcers (fwd)

Eugen Leitl eugen@leitl.org
Sun Jan 19 04:33:31 PST 2003

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2003 10:10:08 -0800 (GMT)
From: John Young <jya@pipeline.com>
To: cypherpunks@lne.com
Subject: RE: [linux-elitists] LOCAL Stanford University: face down the
    DMCA enforcers (fwd)

Based on Larry Augustin's apology for cops and his avowed closeness to
them, a protest is even more deserved against him if not the other
participants.

Larry appears to be quoting from the COPS PR manual for garnering public
support to offset deserved criticism of official misbehavior.

Larry is not alone in seeing the lucrative benefits of defending the giant
law enforcement and national security industries, why you can read the
turncoats all around the world of digital opportunity going on about the
need for vigilance on the dangerous Net and worse, advocating prowling
Intel-inside private computers networks to spot looming threats.

As just one example see Counterpane's recent crowing about success, one of
its lengthening series of warnings about the need for more and more
security against the dangerous digital hordes, and less and less warnings
about the need to protect against official and commercial invaders who are
handing out lucrative contracts to Net security firms and professionals.

Nothng like a fat bribe to convert pagans to organized terrorists
screaming beware the sinners. Hmm, wasn't St. Augustine a prime role model
for that crossover, as if Larry Augustin is a namesake.

To be sure, informers are best recruited from the pagans for they know how
to magnify the hazards of their clan.